Housing and Development

Home / Departments / Housing and Development

Any landowner in the City of Sky Valley wanting to cut, trim, top, or remove a tree, or trees, must first complete an application for a tree cutting permit on forms designated by the City of Sky Valley and file said application with the office of the City Clerk.

1. The application should:

(a) Identify by location on a plat or sketch each tree to be cut, topped, trimmed, or removed. In order to identify a tree by location the applicant must, prior to submitting the application mark each tree by placing a red ribbon around the circumference of the tree at approximately 3 to 4 feet off the ground. The applicant must designate on the plat or sketch whether the tree is to be cut, trimmed, or topped and the total number of must be listed.

(b) Describe the purpose for cutting, topping, trimming, or removing the tree, or trees.

(c) Be accompanied where required with the application fee.

(d) Identify the person or business entity who will cut, top, and remove the tree.

(e) Define the time for cutting, topping, trimming, and for removal of trees or debris.

2. The applicant must certify familiarity with the terms of this ordinance and the applicant must certify the person or business entity actually cutting, trimming, topping, and removing tree is familiar with the ordinance.

(a) The city marshal/building inspector shall within ten (10) working days of the filing of the application (unless a longer time is agreed by the applicant) visit the property, confirm that the application is complete and consider Section 2 of the ordinance and make a written recommendation to the city manager that a permit be issued or denied.

(b) The city manager shall within five (5) business days of receipt of the recommendation of the city marshal/building inspector approve, disapprove, or approve in part the recommendation of the city marshal/building inspector. If the city manager approves in part or disapproves the recommendation of the city marshal/building inspector, written explanation outlining the reasons for approval in part or disapproval must be given.

3. Cutting, topping, trimming or removing trees on another person’s land will require a signed written permission from that landowner to be sent to City Hall before a permit will be issued.

Except as specifically provided in this ordinance, it shall be unlawful for any person to post, display, substantially change, or erect a sign in the city without first having obtained a sign permit. Any existing sign that does not have a permit on file issued by the City of Sky Valley is deemed to be an illegal sign. Any proposed alterations or relocation of a sign requires a new permit.

Sign Design Guidelines

In keeping with the public purpose of aesthetic compatibility with the natural beauty and environment of Sky Valley signs should feature earth colors. An acceptable color motif is available for review at the City Hall. This motif has been approved by the City of Sky Valley. Commercial signs and signs in recreational areas must be approved by the City Manager or designee of the City Manager. Any person or entity dissatisfied with the suggested color scheme or other sign design may seek a variance by petitioning the governing authority of Sky Valley for consideration at the next regularly scheduled meeting.


Temporary Signs

Temporary signs announcing a location or relocation of a business or a sign advertising announcing a special event such as for charitable or public purposes shall not exceed six (6) square feet.

Real estate signs

Real Estate Signs are permitted as follows:

One outdoor real estate “for sale” or “for rent” signs is permitted to be placed by the owner, real estate agent or broker in the property owner’s yard. Sign size is limited to 10” x 12”, dark green in color with white lettering (consistent with the approved lot identification signs) and can contain the words “for sale” or “for rent”, the real estate name or owner and a telephone number. For aesthetic and public safety purposes, the only outdoor real estate signs allowed are signs purchased from the City of Sky Valley.

One indoor window real estate “for sale” or “for rent” signs is permitted to be placed by the owner, real estate agent or broker inside the building. Sign size is limited to 24” x 36” or a total of six (6) square feet.

No more than one (1) outdoor and one (1) indoor real estate sign is permitted on each property for sale or for rent as described in paragraphs above.

Open house signs

An “open house” sign is a temporary sign advising the public that a house will be opened for public inspection on a given date which may be posted for no more than seven (7) days prior to the “open house” and shall be removed immediately following the “open house”.

Directional signs

Directional signs will be allowed for an “open house” or special event and shall be removed immediately following.

Construction signs

Building/Contractor construction signs shall be limited to two (2) square feet total area or smaller and shall only contain the Builder/Contractor/Company name, phone number, lot number or 911 number, and street name. Signs shall be placed in a conspicuous place so that supplier/subcontractors can locate the job site. Construction signs shall be removed within five (5) days after the final inspection.

Commercial construction signs shall be limited to forty (40) square feet total area or smaller and shall only contain the name of the General Contractor, Architect, Engineer, Identification of Structure (i.e. city hall, police department, lodge, etc.), 911 number and street name. Signs shall be placed in a conspicuous place so that suppliers/subcontractors can locate the job site. Signs shall not obstruct motorist view or create a hazardous condition. Location of sign will need to be approved by the City Building Inspector. Construction sign shall be removed within five (5) days after the City’s issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy.

Special Event Banners

Banner signs and locations shall be approved by the City Manager as to size and location on an individual case basis. Said banners shall not be placed more than two (2) weeks prior to the event and shall be removed within forty-eight (48) hours following the event.

Yard Sale signs

Yard sale signs require a temporary sign permit. The duration of a yard sale shall not exceed forty-eight (48) hours. A yard sale permit shall not be issued for a yard sale on a particular property more often than once every year (12) months. Yard sale signs are prohibited except on the property where the yard sale is taking place and during the actual days of the sale. A yard sale sign shall not exceed 5 square feet.

Outdoor Grilling

It is the specific intent of the City of Sky Valley that outdoor burning as used in this ordinance does not include burning charcoal, wood, gas, or other products associated with the outdoor grilling of food.

Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary any outdoor burning in Sky Valley is subject to the following criteria:

A. Except as otherwise provided no one shall burn trees, trash, debris or any other material or permit others to burn trees, trash, debris or any other material on his or her property.

B. Any person desiring to burn as described herein within the corporate limits of the City of Sky Valley must obtain a permit from the Georgia Forestry Commission and then present the Georgia Forestry Commission permit to the City of Sky Valley for registration of the time, location and date of the permitted burning. Upon submission of the Georgia Forestry Commission permit, the City of Sky Valley will give to the registrant a copy of the City’s “burning ordinance”.

C. Construction materials or garbage may not be burned at any time. All such debris shall be removed by the owner or contractor responsible for the construction.

D. No toxic materials, chemicals, tires, plastic, or similar materials may be burned at any time.

E. All fires shall be of such size and intensity that they can be controlled safely by the owner of the property or his or her employee or agent. The owner, employee or agent obtaining the burning permit shall be responsible for such control and for any damages to the property of others by reason of his or her failure to control the burn. All fires shall be attended and supervised at all times, and a pressurized water hose of sufficient length shall be on hand at the burn site and immediately
available for use if necessary.

F. No outdoor burning is permitted over the weekend (from 4:00 P.M. on Friday until 8:00 A.M. on Monday).

G. Burning permits issued by the City of Sky Valley will only be issued during specified two week periods each month. The decision to specie a week to authorize outdoor burning during any given month will be made weekly depending upon weather conditions by the City of Sky Valley.

H. All outdoor burning must be done between the hours of 8:00 A.M. and 4:00 P.M.

I. No permittee of a burning permit may leave the bum pile without obtaining confirmation from the Police Department of Sky Valley that the fire has been properly extinguished. Requests to the Sky Valley Police Department to confirm proper extinguishment must be made before four (4) o’clock P.M. on the date of burning.

Personal transportation vehicle or PTV means any motor vehicle having no fewer than three wheels, an unladen weight of 1,300 pounds or less with a maximum level ground speed of less than 20 miles per hour or any motor vehicle with a minimum of four wheels, an unladen weight of 1,375 pounds or less, capable of transporting not more than eight persons with a maximum level ground speed of less than 20 miles per hour. The term does not include mobility aids, including electric personal assistive mobility devices, power wheelchairs, and scooters, that can be used indoors and outdoors for the express purpose of enabling mobility for a person with a disability. The term also does not include any all-terrain vehicle or multi-purposed off-highway vehicle.

How Do I Register a PTV to Operate on City Streets?

Call the Sky Valley Police Department at 706-746-5584 and request a PTV inspection.

A Police Officer will perform the initial inspection at your residence (so as not to require the illegal operation of the PTV on City streets). The Police Officer will complete the PTV Inspection and provide you a copy of the Inspection form.

You must then bring a completed (1) Registration form, (2) Inspection form, (3) Proof of Liability Insurance, and (4) a copy of a valid Driver’s License for each authorized driver to City Hall during normal business hours, (5) pay the appropriate fee ($15), and be issued the registration decal and receipt for the payment of the fee.

The registration decal must be affixed in a conspicuous place on the lower left windshield on the PTV.

Each registration is valid for a period of five (5) years.

The Safety Inspection will entail the following:

  • A braking system sufficient for the weight and passenger capacity of the vehicle including a parking brake;
  • A reverse warning device functional at all times when the directional control is in the reverse position;
  • A main power switch. When the switch is in the “off” position, or the key or other device that activates the switch is removed, the motive power circuit shall be inoperative. If the switch uses a key, it shall be removable only in the “off” position.
  • Head lamps;
  • Reflex reflectors;
  • Tail lamps;
  • A horn;
  • A rearview mirror;
  • Safety warning labels;
  • Hip restraints and hand holds or a combination thereof;
  • Amber strobe light so as to warn approaching travelers to decrease their speed because of the danger of colliding with such vehicle. Such amber strobe light shall be mounted in a manner so as to be visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of 500 feet from the front and rear of such vehicle; and
  • A rear mounted orange warning triangle center mounted no less than 3 feet and no more than 5 feet above the ground.
Where Can I Drive?

Public streets where the posted speed limit is 25 mph or less and other designated street crossings.

Use of PTVs is prohibited on the following unauthorized streets:

  • Any street or highway with a posted speed limit of more than 25 miles per hour.
  • Any street or highway that has more than one lane of vehicular traffic per direction.
  • Any street or highway designated as part of either the state or federal highway system.
  • GA Highway 246
  • Bald Mountain Road
  • NC Highway 106
  • Old Mud Creek Road